Crazy Rich Asians is a 2018 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Jon M. Chu from a screenplay by Peter Chiarelli and Adele Lim, based on Kevin Kwan’s 2013 novel of the same name. The film stars Constance Wu, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Awkwafina, Nico Santos, Lisa Lu, Ken Jeong, and Michelle Yeoh, and follows a Chinese-American professor who travels to meet her boyfriend’s family and is surprised when she discovers they are among the richest in Singapore. The film was announced in August 2013 after the rights to the book were purchased. Much of the cast signed on in the spring of 2017, and filming took place from April to June of that year in Malaysia and Singapore.
Crazy Rich Asians was released in the United States on August 15, 2018, by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the first film by a major Hollywood studio to feature a majority Asian cast in a modern setting since The Joy Luck Club in 1993. The film has grossed over $187 million worldwide and received praise from critics for the performances, screenplay, and the production design. A sequel is in development.
Crazy Rich Asians Synopsis
In 1995, Eleanor Young and her children arrive at a London hotel with a reservation, only to be told condescendingly by the receptionists that the room she booked is not available. Eleanor and her children are turned out of the hotel and she is forced to call her husband using a public telephone. She then returns to the hotel, where the owner frantically meets her at the lobby and introduces her to the staff as the new owner of the hotel.
- Constance Wu as Rachel Chu, Nick’s girlfriend and Kerry’s daughter
- Henry Golding as Nick Young, Rachel’s boyfriend and Phillip and Eleanor’s son
- Michelle Yeoh as Eleanor Sung-Young, Nick’s domineering mother and Phillip’s wife
- Gemma Chan as Astrid Leong-Teo, Nick’s cousin and Michael’s wife
- Lisa Lu as Shang Su Yi, Nick’s grandmother and the matriarch of the family
- Awkwafina as Goh Peik Lin, Rachel’s Singaporean college best friend and Wye Mun’s daughter
- Harry Shum Jr. as Charlie Wu, Astrid’s former fiancé
- Ken Jeong as Goh Wye Mun, Peik Lin’s wealthy father
- Sonoya Mizuno as Araminta Lee, Colin’s fiancée
- Download Subtitle Indo Crazy Rich